mmp (Micro Music Player)¶
|Release Time:||Dec 19, 2016|
Presentation from mmp (Micro Music Player)¶
mmp is a little, minimal features, music player program with following simple functionalities:
- Play, Stop, Pause, Resume music playing.
- Playing Next, Previous, song control options.
- Shuffle, Repeat All and Repeat One features.
- Timeline view, control and current elapsed time displaying.
- Volume control setting.
mmp is an easy music folder or files playing concept music player so that you only have to select a folder which contains some mmp compatible music file(s) to play it content, or selecting a list of compatible music files.
After listing the folder content or file(s) and searching for an cover image to display ; mmp will give you full access to the music folder content or file(s) and display the album cover image if found.
A cover image is in form of a compatible image file resized to mmp 3 differents, free choosable, fixed interface sizes (little, middle, big).
Then mmp play the folder content or the selected music files in lexicographic sorted order (so as your O.S present you the files) or in shuffle mode.
And the cover image is displayed, except you’re using the Minimal interface.
You can access the playlist to choose a music file to play immediatly.
- Play a folder content.
- Play files, to play the selected file instead of an entire folder.
Display a window displaying the playable files from the folder content i.e the file playlist.
The current playing music file is marked with an icon in the marging.
You can double-click on a file to play it.
You can switch between the normal interface which present a cover if possible or a minimal interface which doesn’t present any cover image.
note: The Minimal Interface looks like a car radio !
Everytime you open music file(s) or a directory for listening music, mmp will store it
in the recent folders list.
note: Only the folders registered by mmp will appear in the recent folder list.
- Timeline progressbar: displaying the progress of the music file reading, which you can drag the slider from to change the current position of the music file.
- Elapsed time of the current music file reading displaying.
Send notification to the user at song playing start (Not available on Windows nor Mac and subject of restrictions on GNU/Linux).
Restriction on GNU/Linux systems.
For using Gtk notification a dbus connection is required.
And I doubt that all GNU/Linux distribution use the
DBus desktop messaging processing system.
And notify that: I cite the Gtk documentation,
There is no guarantee that the notification is displayed immediately, or even at all.
Configure program: at your convenience.
The Configure program window is divided into 3 pages:
- Player settings
You can click-on, click-off the repeat all | Repeat one and shuffle mode to be set as you want.
You can change the volume intensity (from 0.0 to 1.0, which default to 0.5.) to be set as the default volume intensity from the program.
You can set the default music folder used when you open a folder, you immediately in !
warning: Feature not available on Windows but Windows store your precedent location in the file selector.
- You can choose the icons set to use in the interface: 2 different sets available.
- The HighContrast icon set theme: black and white icons.
- The Oxygen icon set theme: colored icons.
- You can choose the theme variant:
- Dark (if available).
- You can choose the main size from the interface from 3 available sizes:
- Little size.
- Middle size.
- Big size.
- Misc (Not available on Windows nor Mac)
- Set Micro Music Player as default music player.
- Enable/Disable Send Notifications.
- You can Enable and Disable the Minimal interface as you want.
Changes are immediately applied on the program,
You must press the Apply button to store the settings, so that you can get it back at every new start from the program.
When you press the stop button or your playlist is finished,
you can simply press the play button to relaunch it from the beginning.
Current song presentation:
The current playing song displaying entry field is formatted like this:
[N°/Total] - Author - Title
You can open a folder or files with mmp through your file navigator or start it with the commandline:
$ mmp [folder|file(s)]path # mmp is a symbolic link.
What mmp not does:¶
mmp provide nothing else features:
- No music library indexing feature.
- No database connection for cover images downloading or any indexing.
So mmp stay as simple as possible: as a simple play files or a folder content, with no internet connection required anyway, only your music folder and mmp.
This is because i implement it at start only for personnal usage so it´s a personnal requirement builded program,
but finally i decide to distribute it because mmp is so easy, as in the concept as the short source code,
so that you can use it like this or modify it, in the way you want, according to the terms of the GPLv3 license.
mmpversion 3.0, was written on an
Then adapt to:
- Windows 7 (64 bits), and compiled with a native
- MacOS Sierra, and compiled with the g++ compiler.
So some functionalities are not available on some portages, very sorry !
Windows: This program was tested on a Windows 7 64 bits system and should work on Windows versions >= 7. MacOS: This program was tested on a Mac OS Sierra, I don’t know about retro-compatiblity and future O.S release compatiblity.
mmp supported filetypes:¶
Music files filetypes:¶
The most common music filetypes:
- mp3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer III or MPEG-2 Audio Layer III).
- ogg (Ogg Vorbis).
- flac (Free Lossless Audio Codec).
- wav (WAVEform audio file format).
- wma (Windows Media Audio).
- aac (Advanced Audio Coding).
- ac3 (Dolby Digital).
- mid or midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface).
- ape (Monkey’s Audio).
- mov (QuickTime).
Else the complete supported filetypes list:
Cover image filetypes:¶
The most common images formats:
- jpeg, jpg, jpe (Joint Photographic Experts Group).
- png (Portable Network Graphics).
- bmp, dib (bitmap image file or device independent bitmap).
- tiff, tif (Tagged Image File Format).
In fact all the image filetypes supported by gdk-pixbuf. Which are on my system:
note: The supported image files are automatic detected in relationship to gdk-pixbuf.
mmp version 2.0¶
has totally change the audio engine and the images management:
Instead of using the
SDL2_mixer library it use the
libvlc library (with which the famous media player vlc is build).
opencv-3.0.0 library is no more needed. mmp uses
gtk+-3.0 for the cover images resizing.
Nothing change for the user except that the program will never more crashing due of my missuse of the
mmp Version 2.1¶
Introduce some few new usefull concept.
mmp use some few metadatas from the files with fallback if not found for:
- Formatting the displaying to the user of the current playing music file, in following manner:N° of track Artist - Title Duration
- Getting the duration of the music file what permit:
- To display the duration of the music file to the user.
- Provide a timeline bar which you can drag the slider to change the current position in the track.
- Displaying a timeline bar.
- Getting the correct cover image.
Because in version below 2.1 it could append that mmp display the back face of the a cover image or any other image.
note: It can still append but very much least as before: per example if mmp cannot access the metadata, but not necessarily in this case (because of fallback success).
mmp Version 3.0¶
- Adding the Repeat one feature.
- Adding the Minimal interface feature.
- Adding the Recent folders feature.
- Adding the possiblity to switch between the light and dark (if available) variant of your theme.
Reformatting the displaying to the user of the current playing music file, in following manner:[N°/Total] - Author - Title
The total duration of a song is now set aside the elapsed time.
Full change of the menu bar and many items and shortcuts was added.
Full change of the ``Configure program`` window.
Using the GtkApplication instead if the traditonnal
gtk_main(...)what implies big changes.
Changing the Repeat and Shuffle features buttons to normal buttons which switch their images.
Adding the number of total songs of the playlist to the current song displaying entry wigdet.
Bug fix the display playlist windows, which updating was enterely rewritten.
I have rewritten a big part of the program.
What the user doesn’t sea, if he don’t get interest into the source code,
which can be usefull for them which start the C++ language coming from the C language.
Because mmp always claim to be written in C++ in a
The source code is available in the folder:
On GNU/Linux/UNIX systems.
Thanks to my beloved mother, my family and to the doctors.
Stay away from drugs: drugs destroy your brain and your life.
Thanks to my uncle too, who let free usage of his Mac O.S, for the development of mmp version 1.0,
during my holydays where i write this lines from...
By the way Mac O.S seems to me a little bit strange the first times but i think it’s good stuff finally.
I think that Mac compile right with his
C++ compilerbut not verbose enough about errors.
terminalis near enough from the GNU/Linux
so that i could work...
Micro Music Player a very simple play a folder or a file music player. Copyright (C) 2015, 2016 Brüggemann Eddie. This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.